Friday, May 22, 2009

Senseless Deaths, Redux

For the record, I did not know Elizabeth Durante before she died.

I also didn't know Tavaryna Chouen.

I wouldn't have recognized either of them if we'd passed on the street, they wouldn't have been able to do the same for me, and I couldn't tell you a single thing about what made them unique. I can't tell you what was lost when they died, other than all the potential still remaining in a young life.

But I nearly went into shock this morning when I clicked on the Globe's website and saw the picture and name of Justin Cosby, both of which were instantly recognizable as the former 10th grader at CRLS who frequented the basketball courts between Magazine and Pearl.

Justin was a bright, engaging, energetic young man with an original, expressive writing style. I know this last part because as I've been unpacking and sorting out all the boxes of *stuff* that I've accumulated over the past few years, there are a few essays and assignments in there with his name at the top.

I have no idea why Justin Cosby was killed and probably never will. But I know he will be missed by many, all of whom never had the chance to say a proper goodbye.

Justin, may you rest in peace always.

2 comments:

C R Krieger said...

Funnily enough, I was talking to our Facilities Man, Steve, about an impending move of the Corporate Headquarters and I said, what about Lowell, we could get a hub zone benefit.  The response from Steve and someone standing next to him was that Lowell was dangerous.  In fact, Steve said that the women in the company would be concerned.  I said that it wasn't so bad and the response was that it had been improving but had recently started going the wrong direction.

That this is one view out there is not a good thing.  Lowell is my City; I hope we can do better.

Regards  —  Cliff

The New Englander said...

Cliff,

It's funny, those perceptions really do die hard. Every friend of mine who has come from out-of-area to visit has come away raving about Lowell.

But someone from just a couple towns away still has these negative ideas etched into his or her head, and it's a shame.

Have you seen the plans for what the Hamilton Canal District will look like when it's said and done? I think that will be a huge step forward in changing what many see when they come in off the Connector and get a first impression.

As to your last paragraph, amen to that. This is the only place I've ever owned property or even stayed long enough to unpack the suitcases (not counting years
0-17, when those sorts of things weren't my choices), so I'm with you on the sense of ownership and hope for the future..

best,
gp