Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hating the Haters? Get Over Yourself

The leader of a notorious hate group passed away today, or yesterday, or sometime in between.

I'm not saying his name here, and I'm not naming his group.

What I will say, though, is that not a single person I know supports his brand of hate.

And I know a lot of people, from a lot of walks of life.

So if you oppose this guy, you're not being courageous, or brave, or profound; in fact, you're being just as quotidian as everyone else I know, myself included.

Find some issue that you can take out and paddle with, against the tide.  Then, find some reflective surfaces so you can stop, and admire.

But just opposing something that 99+% of society opposes does NOT make you worthy of that.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Meanwhile while people are hating the haters, it is amazing what we have ignored.

"What if the media reported the fatherless crisis and no one cared?"

Pretty frightening how viral media can be share or completely avoided.

The New Englander said...

Talking about the fatherless crisis isn't *fun.*

No easy targets, no typical cast of villains, no opportunity for cyber-pile-ons.

So, sadly, no shocker that the click-obsessed media takes a pass.