Friday, October 2, 2009

The Invention Of...Huh?

I just got back from The Invention of Lying. As I'm far from being a movie critic, or even a real movie buff, I use one simple litmus test to see whether I enjoy something, esp. when I'm captive inside a theater:

Did I 'lose' myself in the story, the action, or the comedy, or did I keep looking at my watch and looking forward to the rolling of the credits?

In this case, it was definitely the latter. Of course, there's the novelty effect of seeing your city and your neighborhood, including a bar across the street from your home, thrown up on the big screen. But even that didn't sustain me through this one.

What I thought was going to be a witty, fast-paced comedy based on an interesting and original idea (a world where no one had any concept of a 'lie' or what it would mean to tell one, until one man discovered otherwise), ended up taking a total left turn into a big spoof on religion, with a predictable loser-gets-the-girl love story thrown in for good measure.

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily mind the religious parody in and of itself...in fact, TV shows like Family Guy and South Park take frequent pot shots at my Sunday morning hangout on a regular basis, and I tend to laugh -- because those shows are witty and original.

This, however, was neither. I came in pretty excited, and I walked out pretty disappointed.

5 comments:

Renee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee said...

Reedited it

Deleted Comment From: The New Englander

Blogger Renee said...

"The Invention of God" wouldn't go well as a title, it would cause controversy. I read a few Catholic blogs that seemed upset by this, I wasn't though. It could be a good conversation starter. I could see someone who is an atheist seeing religion as simply a way to manipulate, telling children if they're good a magical man will come down the chimney and drop off present. Some Christians don't do Santa for that reason, I do but as they get older I teach them about the real Saint Nicholas.

As a Catholic though, I see religion as a way to deal with lying and other faults we and others do have. A sincere religious belief isn't just another lie, it's the answer to avoid it. It's a guide to be a better person, because none of us are perfect. I'm sure an atheist may ask, why does it require a belief outside objective nature world?

Ultimately I came down to the 'belief', I have to call it that, that we have to answer for our actions in one form or another. For my actions to matter, there has to be a higher purpose for doing the right thing. We're not just chemicals that evolved by chance. I don't mind the claim we evolved, but it wasn't be change.

Renee said...

argh... change = chance

Renee said...

so much for editing... argh putting the kids to bed. Sorry for four posts.

The New Englander said...

Renee, I'd say we're of similar minds on those points at the end. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that human life is divinely inspired. If that makes me a caveman in the eyes of some sophisticates somewhere, so be it.

As for the movie, I've tried to encourage other Christians to see it..as you said, an honest critique of something is not necessarily bad. In this case, I just thought the effort was Junior Varsity at best...but the shots of Lowell were still worth the price of admission.