Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mrs. Coakley, Say It Ain't So

I want to give Martha Coakley the benefit of the doubt on this. I am hoping that somehow she was speaking in jest, or didn't really mean it, or thinks she was misquoted, or something...or anything but this. I wasn't leaning too strongly in either direction in regards to the U.S. Senate election here in Massachusetts, but if Martha Coakley *really* meant this, I know which way my vote WON'T be going (Scot Lehigh in italics, Coakley in bold).

Now wait, I interject, isn’t the real reason she’s running that, just like everyone else in this race, she’s ambitious and wants to be a US senator, and not because of concerns about the quality of leadership in Washington?

“You know, that is a male approach to this thing,’’ the attorney general replies.Men will play to fight and win. My experience is women get into causes and things they care about, that they want to make a difference.’’

As I've written many times here before, and will many times again, I cheer every time there's a significant *first* milestone in politics, professional sports coaching, business leadership, or anywhere else, for two equally important reasons: first, because in a fair society everyone should have a chance to be anything; and second, because every time there's a major *first* it means the *second* will have less to do with identity and more to do with merit.

However, one thing I'm NEVER going to buy into is the narrative line in certain circles that certain groups are inherently better than others, which is basically what it sounds like Mrs. Coakley is saying here.

HT goes, of all places, to the Sun's Column today, which was the first I had heard about this quote that I since went and looked up online.

6 comments:

C R Krieger said...

Greg

I fully agree with you on this.  On the other hand, I still think that our civil rights may be safer with the Mass AG as one of 100 in the US Senate, rather than picking and choosing who to prosecute and who to let slide, back here in the Commonwealth.

That said, if the concept of a TSW and the person selected to be the TSW is so great, why isn't the incumbent in the lead, based upon all the registered Democrats saying they are going to write in his name?

Regards  —  Cliff

Renee said...

Is this a play to get more donors from EMILY's List?

When Palin was nominated as VP last year many women were offended that McCain assumed they would turn their Clinton votes into Palin votes simply because of her gender.

Palin back in 06' was endorsed by the Susan B. Anthony List to get funding for her gubernatorial race.

If I could rewrite the campaign finance rules I would have no DNC/RNC funding and no money from anyone outside the voting district.

C R Krieger said...

Renee

But we all know where Susan B Anthony stood; don't we?

Regards  —  Cliff

Renee said...

No, most people don't know. Not to get into the subject, but the first feminists were pro-life. The birth place of Susan B. Anthony in Massachusetts is owned by 'Feminists for Life' group. Anthony and other feminists were under the belief the more power women had, less likely they would be coerced into have an abortion and men would be more accountable to them. Most people don't realize abortion existed in the 1800s. Pretty common then too.

The New Englander said...

Renee thanks for dispelling the "feminism must be all about abortion rights" myth. I didn't know about feminism's roots there and that helps explain why it's good to read and learn independently -- they definitely never taught us that in school!

best,
gp

C R Krieger said...

Greg

I try to always have a Susan B Anthony "coin" in my pocket.

Regards  —  Cliff